Please don’t hate me for this comment: sometimes I dislike sandwiches.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the ease for which a sandwich travels but sometimes I feel like it’s all about the bread and not about the fillings. There can be some really great sandwich fillings out there!
I’m the person who smashes a peanut butter and jelly sandwich together and then pulls it apart to eat it slice by slice.
So instead I often find myself eating toast lathered in different, easy toppings. I like toast because it’s not flimsy and can still easily be eaten without utensil but I have the ability to stack twice as much filling as a normal sandwich. It’s a win-win situation in my book.
This pea toast is delicious, easy, and makes for a super healthy lunch. I almost always have hardboiled eggs in the refrigerator which makes this come together in no time!
Ricotta, Smashed Pea, and Hard Boiled Egg Toast
- 1 cup shelled peas (roughly 3/4 lb)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon garlic scapes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 2-3 slices wheat bread
- 2-3 hardboiled egg
- 1/4 cup vegetarian parmesan
- 1-2 tablespoons Olive oil
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in olive oil and garlic scapes,sautéing until tender. Stir in peas and let cook until tender, 3-4 minutes. In a food processor, combine peas, honey, thyme, salt, and pepper. Pulse until peas begin to smooth out. Add in ricotta cheese and pulse until combine.
- Lightly toast the bread and layer with spinach, pea mixture, and hard boiled egg. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and olive oil to serve.
by Erin Alderson