Friends don’t let friends eat mac and cheese out of a box and since I consider you my friends, I’m not letting you eat mac and cheese out of a box.
There’s no reason. Really. You can make a simple, gooey version of mac and cheese in the same amount of time it would take you to make that box crap (I’m sorry but I’ve yet to find a one that taste good- I need some real cheese.)
Plus, this version is amazingly adaptable. You can play with add-ins (like broccoli!), cheeses (some white cheese would be delicious!), or multiple to make as much quick mac and cheese as you need.
Even better- if you are like me you always have pasta in your cupboard, and milk/butter/cheese is your refrigerator. You can’t go wrong!
Quick "Box" Mac and Cheese
- 6 ounces pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Prepare pasta according to box (or how you normally do it!) Drain and set aside.
- In a small pan, heat butter over medium-low heat until melted. Whisk in flour and let cook for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in milk, salt, pepper, and garlic. Continue to whisk until the mixture begins to thicken (1-2 more minutes). Once thickened, remove from oven and mix in cheese, continuing to whisk until melted (if the cheese sauce seems too thick, add a little more milk.) Stir into pasta and serve
- Great additions include broccoli, onions, squash (or any other type of favorite vegetable you can think of!)