This fall has had great weather and beautiful color, I just wish I wasn’t so busy that I could have enjoyed it more!
However, gone are the long football games, one of my classes, and a lot of the hectic scheduling of marching band. It is smooth sailing to Thanksgiving break! Hopefully now I can catch back up with my blog- I have some great product reviews coming up and tons of recipe ideas I can’t wait to try!
With the temperatures dipping into the thirties, I have hit that point where getting out of bed is that much harder (I finally caved and turned on my heat.) This is also the time I start craving hot and hearty foods for breakfast. A bowl of cereal just isn’t going to cut it.
This recipe is perfect if you have a little left over homemade pumpkin puree or if you have an extra can of pumpkin floating around the house. Oatmeal is already hearty and adding the fall flavors makes it that much better!
Pumpkin Steel Cut Oatmeal
- 1/3 cup steel cut oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon sucanat
- 2 tablespoon walnut pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Bring oats, water, and salt to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until oats are slightly tender.
- Once oats are almost done, add remaining ingredients into the oats and continue to cook until the oats are cooked..
- Once oatmeal is done, place in a bowl and top with a few extra walnuts.
- (feel free to add milk/soymilk if the oats turn out too thick!)
by Erin Alderson