An easy spring soup that uses hearty freekeh paired with spring peas and herbs.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium shallots (minced)
- 3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Freekeh
- 3 to 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups shelled peas
- 1/3 cup pesto ((homemade or pre-made))
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium-low heat. Add olive oil followed by minced shallots. Cook until shallots are soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the freekeh, followed by the 3 cups of the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, uncover and add the peas. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes or so until the freekeh is tender. Remove from heat, stir in the pesto, and add salt/pepper to your liking.
Tips & Tricks: Make your own pesto.
Nutrition: see the information.
- Calories: 377
- Sugar: 6.2
- Sodium: 172.9
- Fat: 22.9
- Carbohydrates: 35.4
- Fiber: 7.5
- Protein: 11.3
- Cholesterol: 6.4