These are a result of a failure at trying to make turnovers, but I think I like these better- I can easily smother them in whipped cream. You can make the dough and the filling ahead of time, which would make assembly of these super easy.
Mini Apple Galettes
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1 oz cream cheese, chilled
- 2-4 tablespoons of ice water
- 2 green apples
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg
- Two hours before (or up to a day before making galettes), dice apples into 1/4"-1/2" cubes. Toss with maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and flour. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a food processor (or a medium bowl) combine flour and salt for crust. Pulse (or cut) in butter. Once butter is mostly into small chunks, pulse (or cut) in cream cheese. (On a side note- I really love using a food processor to make this dough- less mess!) Once butter and cream cheese are in pea size pieces, pulse in 2 tablespoons of water until dough begins to come together (adding a 1 tablespoon of water extra as needed.) Remove from food processor and shape into a disc (without handling the dough too much.) Wrap in plastic and place in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Once dough has chilled for 20 minutes, remove and rollout on a floured surface into a rectangle that is roughly 12x9. Cut in to six pieces and move to a baking tray covered with a silpat or parchment paper.
- Take a rough 1/2" cup of apple pie and place it in the middle of dough. Bring edges up and over part of the apple filling and pinch together- it doesn't have to be pretty. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Whisk egg and brush over crust. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remove and let cool slightly. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Loading nutrition data...