A delicious and easy corn-free polenta using cracked millet.
- 1 cup uncooked millet
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium-vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, optional
- 2 tablespoons butter, optional
- Pulse millet in a food processor or blender, roughly 4 to 6 time, until the mixture resembles a course flour/meal.
- Heat a medium pot over medium-low heat. Add the millet and toast the cracked grain for a couple minutes, until the millet becomes fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to the lowest heat, and cook for about 18 to 20 minutes, whisking frequently.
Polenta should be thickened and any pieces of millet should have softened. If needed, add a splash more water to thin the polenta and cook for longer. Remove from heat and stir in the butter/cheese if using, whisking until smooth.
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 164.9
- Fat: 2.1
- Saturated Fat: .4
- Carbohydrates: 36.6
- Fiber: 4.3
- Protein: 5.5
- Cholesterol: 0