- Brussels Sprouts
- 1/2 pound of Brussels Sprouts
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 medium red onion
- Barley Pilaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup barley
- 3 cups water
- sesame seeds for topping.
- To start Brussels Sprouts, bring a pot of water to a boil. Cut part of the stem off the Brussels spout and place them in the boiling water. Cook for 4-5 minutes until just tender. Drain into a strainer and cool down by rinsing cold water over the brussels sprouts.
- Whisk the soy sauce, honey, and crushed red pepper together. Add Brussels Sprouts in a bowl and toss with soy sauce mixture. Cover and let sit for one hour. Place wooden skewers in water and set aside.
- To make barley, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add ginger and garlic, cooking for 1 minute. Next, stir in barley and cook for another minute. Pour in water, bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Let barley cook until tender and water is absorbed, 40-45 minutes.
- Light grill. Chop onion into chunks. Alternate threading Brussels Sprouts and Onions onto the skewers. Place on the grill and cook until Brussels Sprouts are beginning to char, rotating as needed.
- Serve skewers over barley with extra soy sauce and sesame seeds as desired.