- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 2 oz cream cheese, chilled
- 1/4–1/2 cup of ice water
- 3 cups packed Kale, de-stemmed and shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup green onions, diced
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup feta
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Egg Wash:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- In a food processor (or a medium bowl) combine flour and salt for crust. Pulse (or cut) in butter. Once butter is mostly into small chunks, pulse (or cut) in cream cheese. (On a side note- I really love using a food processor to make this dough- less mess!) Once butter and cream cheese are in pea size pieces, pulse in 1/4 cup of water until dough begins to come together (adding a 1 tablespoon of water extra as needed.) Remove from food processor and shape into a disc (without handling the dough too much.) Wrap in plastic and place in refrigerator.
- While dough chills, heat olive oil over medium low heat. Add green onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat and add kale, continuing to cook until kale is partially wilted. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whip together ricotta cheese, feta, egg white, honey, and salt. Fold in kale mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the pie dough out to a 12-14″ circle and transfer to a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Spread kale mixture evenly over pie crust, leaving approximately 2″ boarder. Fold over the edges of the crust, pleating as needed to make and even circle.
- Combine the egg yolk/water and brush the outer edge of the crust.
- Bake galette until crust is golden brown and the cheese has puffed- somewhere between 35-45 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with some of the greens from the green onions. Let cool slightly, cut into wedges and serve. This works well both warm and cold.
Works great with chard and spinach as well!