- 1 recipe for whole wheat pasta
- 12 large, ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Make whole wheat pasta and set aside to let dry.
- To make marinara sauce, cute the top of the tomato out and cut an “X” in the top. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and blanch 3-4 tomatoes at a time for 20-30 seconds until skin begins to peel. Place blanched tomatoes in an ice bath and remove skin from tomatoes. Set aside and continue with remaining tomatoes. Cut tomatoes into quarters, remove seeds, and dice into large chunks.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in onions and garlic, sauteing until fragrant (about 4-5 minutes.) De-glaze the pan with white wine and add in tomato chunks.
- Bring tomatoes to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Let cook for 90 minutes until tomato sauce has reduced down. Add in fresh herbs and sugar, continuing to cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and using an immersion blender, puree sauce until smooth. Toss with freshly cooked pasta and serve hot.