A hearty and filling dinner, this harissa chickpea bowl is to the dinner table in 30 minutes with little hands-on cooking time.
- 2 large bell peppers or 5 to 6 small sweet peppers
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas ((or 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed))
- 3/4 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons harissa (see note)
- Salt (to taste)
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F.
- Slice peppers and onions into thin strips and place in a roasting pan. Add the chickpeas along with the yogurt and harissa. Stir until everything is well combined and coated. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until the peppers are tender.
- Remove from oven and stir in minced cilantro. Taste and add salt as needed. Serve over quinoa and sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
Tips & Tricks: I make a semi-mild harissa sauce but also occasionally buy harissa in a jar. Both of these work well for the quantity in this recipe. However, some harissa paste can be spicy and you may only need 2 to 3 teaspoons. Taste test your harissa first to find out how spicy it is and go from there!
Nutrition: See the information.
- Calories: 675
- Sugar: 17
- Sodium: 1619.3
- Fat: 12.8
- Carbohydrates: 111.8
- Protein: 31.8
- Cholesterol: 11.9