|Sweet Potato Cakes with Makhani Tomato Sauce and Poached Egg |
Author: Erin Alderson
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
- Sweet Potato Cake(from Sprouted Kitchen/Yotam Ottolengh's Plenty):
- 1/2 lb sweet potato (about one medium)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons green onion
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 clove garlic
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 egg white
- Oil for cooking
- Makhani Sauce (Adapted from Mark Bittman):
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons onion, diced
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes, slightly drained
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- In a small sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes and add in curry powder (I use a high quality Thai Curry powder or make my own.) Let cook for another minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and coconut milk, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Let cook simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender (you can also skip this step if you want it chunky.)
- Peel sweet potato and cut into rough 1/2" cubes. Steam until sweet potatoes have softened . Mash sweet potatoes and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add green onions and garlic, sautéing until fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
- Combine sweet potatoes, onions, soy sauce, salt, egg white, and flour. Batter will still be sticky but should hold together. Heat a pan over medium heat and a a touch of oil (I used stainless steel and had to use about two tablespoons of oil.
- Scoop out two tablespoons of sweet potato and place it in pan, smashing into a 1/2" thick circle. Cook on eat side until golden brown, 6-8 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel to drain.
- During all of this, fry or poach an egg. This resembles the closest way I poach an egg.
- To assemble, lay sweet potato cakes, followed by tomato sauce, egg, and cilantro to garnish.
- *The sweet potato batter can be mixed and store overnight as well.
Recipe by Naturally Ella at https://naturallyella.com/sweet-potato-cakes-with-curried-tomato-sauce-and-poached-egg/