Author: Erin Alderson
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoon organic cane sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoon cultured organic butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup + 2 T of buttermilk
- 3/4 cup chunks of chocolate
- Egg wash:
- 1 none egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 425˚ and cover a sheet tray in parchment paper (or, buy a reusable silpat mat!).
- In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients. Cut in butter (using pastry blender, two knives, or my favorite-your hands) until butter is in little pea size pieces. In a smaller bowl, whisk together egg yolk and butter milk and then stir into dry ingredients until dough pulls together. Fold in chocolate chip chunks and roll out onto a floured surface.
- Whisk together the egg and water, set aside. Pat dough into a square and cut into four squares (for large scones) or if you don’t want mega scones, try cutting the dough into 6-8 pieces.) Place on the sheet tray and brush egg wash over scones (this will give a nice golden color.) Place tray in oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
Recipe by Naturally Ella at https://naturallyella.com/?p=4746