Author: Erin Alderson
Prep time: 2 hours 50 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 3 hours 30 mins
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup sweetener (honey or sugar)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil (or butter, olive oil, or canola oil)
- 3-3 1/2 cups flour (unbleached all purpose, wheat, rye, etc.)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the water, yeast, and sweetener- give a quick stir and let sit until yeast becomes active (5ish minutes.)
- Stir in oil, salt, and 2 cups of flour. Start bread with the dough hook.
- Add 1/4 cup of remaining flour and continue to slowly add flour (1-2 tablespoons at a time) until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Let run for 8-10 minutes. This will give you time to adjust flour and let the dough knead. Remember- you can always add flour but you can't always take it away. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky. Cover with a damp towel and set aside to rise for 1- 1 1/2 hours.
- Once the first rise is over, knead a couple of times into the form of a log. Place in an oiled bread pan, cover again and set aside for about 1 hour. With 30 minutes left, pre-heat your oven to 425˚.
- Once the loaf has risen the second time, brush with oil and place in oven. (if you have a bottle of water, mist the bottom of your oven a couple of times to get some steam going.) Shut the oven door and let bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 375˚ and continue to bake for 30 minutes. Bread should have a golden crust and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pan and let cool until you slice it.
Recipe by Naturally Ella at https://naturallyella.com/a-few-words-and-video-about-bread/