A fresh, spring-feeling salad featuring roast chioggia beets tossed with chickpeas, dill, and lemon. A lovely side for dinner or a great picnic salad.
- 1/2 lb chioggia beets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (drained and rinsed if using canned)
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- 3 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Trim the beet tops and ends if long, if necessary. Place in the middle of a piece of parchment and toss with the olive oil and salt. Fold the parchment paper up and create a sealed package (I usually fold the top part together a couple of times then tuck the sides under.
- Place the parchment packet in a roasting pan. Roast the beets until tender, 35 to 55 minutes (will depend on the size of each beet). Remove from the oven and let cool enough to rub the skin from the beets.
- Once the beets are peeled, cut into 1/2″ thick wedges and place in a bowl along with the cooked chickpeas, dill, and sunflower seeds. Measure in the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Toss until well combined. Taste and adjust salt as needed. This salad can be eaten immediately but does taste a bit better if allowed to rest for an hour or so.