This flavorful salad could easily be eaten as a light dinner or made for a fresh breakfast (because why not eat salad at breakfast?!)
1 delicata squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 to 3 teaspoons adobo seasoning
4 cups baby arugula, lightly packed
¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
¼ cup toasted pepitas
2 jammy eggs (see note)
- Heat your oven to 425˚F and cover a sheet tray with parchment (if desired- I don’t always use parchment). Trim the ends from the squash and cut in half lengh-wise. Scoop out the seeds and cut the squash into ¼” thick slices. Place on a sheet tray and toss with the olive oil and adobo seasoning. Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes or so. The squash should be browning and tender.
- Add the arugula to a bowl along with the goat cheese, pepitas, delicata squash, and the dressing. Toss to combine then top with the eggs cut in half.
- The image for this recipe shows the delicata squash in rings. You could easily do this by slice the squash then using a biscuit cutter to remove the seeds. It’s more tedious though, so I recommend slicing in half and scooping out the seeds at once.
- The adobo seasoning: add more oil and seasoning depending on the size of your squash. You want the pieces to be evenly coated. Start with 1 tablespoon oil/2 teaspoons spice blend.
- For the eggs, I swear by the boil-only method. Bring a pot of water to a boil over medium-high, add the eggs, and set a timer for 7 minutes. Bring the eggs back to a gentle boil and cook that way. Drain and transfer to an ice bath after 7 minutes.
Keywords: breakfast salad, squash salad