- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste (see note)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 2 cups 1/4″ diced carrots
- Salt, to taste
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until fragrant and soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger, cooking for one more minute. Next, add in the curry paste, cooking for another minute.
- Measure in the stock and water. Bring to a boil, add the split peas, reduce heat to low, and let cook for 35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes, stir in the carrots and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes until the split peas and carrots are soft. Taste and add salt as needed. Remove from heat and serve with yogurt, cilantro, lime wedges, and scallion greens if desired.
+ Not every curry paste is created equal. Some are spicy, some are not. Some are full of flavor, some have little flavor. Make your own or try a couple of store-bought brands to find a good one. Sometimes I’ve found the flavor of the curry paste only comes out with an extra pinch of salt.