- 1, 1lb sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced red pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed if using canned
- 1 tablespoon of good curry powder
- Cilantro, for toping
- Roasted cashews, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Scrub sweet potato well and pierce a few times with a fork. Place directly on the oven rack with a sheet tray on the rack under (to catch any sweet potato run-off) Bake until sweet potato is tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil, followed by onions and peppers. Cook until onions are soft. Stir in garlic and cook for another minute more. Stir in garlic, cook for a minute then add in the chickpeas and curry powder. Stir and cook just to heat the chickpeas. Turn off heat.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half and carefully scoop out the insides into a bowl leaving ¼” of sweet potato with the skin. Mash sweet potatoes with the coconut milk and pinch of salt. Fold in the chickpea mixture until well combined.
- Scoop the filling back into the skins. Smooth the sweet potato tops and score with a criss-cross design. Place on a baking tray or in a roasting pan.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until mixture is heated through. Top with minced cilantro and toasted cashews before serving.
+ If you want to move this meal along, try cooking the sweet potatoes ahead of time.