I’ll often cut the recipe in half to serve two people, but still roasted the whole amount of grapefruit (I love the extra fruit!)
- 1 large grapefruit (or 2 if they are on the smaller side)
- 2 tablespoons sucanat
- 3/4 cups (90 g) whole wheat pastry or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (90 g) cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons (56 g) melted butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 425˚. Slice the skin off the grapefruit and cut into slices. Place in a roasting pan and sprinkle with the sucanat. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the sugar has caramelized and is lightly browned.
- Preheat the waffle iron. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and sea salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, melted butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until combined but with a few lumps, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour a quarter of the batter into the waffle iron and cook per the waffle iron directions. Keep finished waffles on a baking tray in a 200 ̊F (93 ̊C) oven until ready to serve. Serve topped with roasted grapefruit and maple syrup.