A creamy quinoa recipe that mimics a quinoa risotto but with turmeric, ginger, and coconut.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup whole-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups shredded dino kale
- Toasted Coconut Flakes, for topping
- Cilantro, for topping
- Heat a medium pan over medium-low heat. Add the coconut oil followed by the minced shallot. Cook until the shallot is fragrant and translucent; 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the ginger and cook for another minute or two.
- Add in the turmeric and salt. Next, stir in the quinoa followed by the vegetable broth or water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and let cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed; 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk followed by the shredded kale. Cook until the quinoa is creamy and the kale as wilted to your liking.
- Divide the quinoa into two bowls and top with toasted coconut flakes and cilantro before serving.
Tips + Tricks: I use the full-fat coconut milk from a can. I like to transfer it to a sealable container and shake well before using since most of the canned coconut milk is separate.
- Serving Size: 1/2 the dish
- Calories: 531
- Sugar: 3.8
- Sodium: 350
- Fat: 24.4
- Carbohydrates: 67
- Fiber: 8.6
- Protein: 15.2