- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or regular whole wheat flour)
- 1/2-1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon almond oil
- 1/3 cup sucanat
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- In a small bowl combine ground flax seed and water, set aside. Heat almond milk (either in a sauce pan or microwave)- don’t let it get too hot (I zapped mine in the microwave for about a minute.)
- In a stand mixer bowl, at milk, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for about five minutes or until yeast activates. Add in oil, flax seed mixture, salt, and the wheat flour. Give a good stir with a spoon and then turn on the mixer with the dough hook. Begin adding the all-purpose flour 1/4 cup at a time, letting it mix in before adding more. You want your dough to be soft (but not sticky) and the key to that is adding just enough flour so that it pulls away from the sides of the bowl but may still slightly stick to the bottom and letting it knead for 5-8 minutes.
- Once the dough is here, scoop out of the bowl, form into a ball, place back in the bowl, brush it with a oil, and let it sit in a warm, draft free spot for 1- 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out into a 8 by 12 rectangle. Brush oil over surface and sprinkle with sucanat and cinnamon. Cut the dough into 6 strips (cutting the shorter of the length-it’s easier to handle.) Stack the strips on top of each other and cutting downward, cut 6 pieces for jumbo muffin tins or 8-10 for regular size muffin tins. Brush muffin tins with oil and place each piece in the tin. Cover and let rise again.
- After about a half hour of rising, pre-heat your oven to 350˚. Once rolls have risen and oven is up to temperature, bake for 15-20 minutes. Fantails should be firm to the touch and golden brown. Remove from oven and eat warm! You can also add your favorite icing but these were delicious even without the extra sugar!
To make non-vegan, use 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons of butter, and regular milk!