This is a rough recipe because giving an exact amount for the veggies seemed arbitrary. Simply use what you have on hand! Also, the addition of cheese would be delicious- try feta, goat, or a little queso fresco.
- Assorted Summer Produce*:
- Yellow Squash
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Jalapeño Peppers
- Sweet Red Peppers
- Juice from 2-3 limes, depending on size
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cilantro, minced
- a couple handfuls of kale
- 1/2 cup barley
- Anywhere from an hour up to a day** before, cut up veggies in to rough 1″ pieces. Whisk together marinade. In a large dish, like a 9×13 pan, toss together veggies and marinade. Since I don’t give you exact measurements on the veggies- you may have to make adjustments to the marinade, just whip up a little more if need be. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- One hour before, soak up to 6 wood skewers in water.
- In a pot, cover barley with two inches of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to heat slightly, and let cook until barley is tender (but will still be slightly chewy.) Set aside.
- When ready to cook, light the grill. Carefully thread veggies on to skewers in the order you choose. Grill until veggies are your desired doneness (ie- I like mine charred whereas some just barely like them brown.)
- While kabobs are on the grill. Roughly chop kale. Toss kale and cooked barley with the left over marinade. Place on a plate and serve with 1-2 veggie kabobs.
*You want enough veggies to cover 4-5 skewers. I used one small zucchini, one small summer squash, 1/2 onion, 1 jalapeño, 1 red pepper, 10 cherry tomatoes
**I usually prep the veggies the night before and let it sit until the next day.