Next week I’m headed home for a book signing in Illinois (which, if you happen to be close to Galesburg, Illinois (a long shot, I know)- come see me!) and spending time with my family over the holiday weekend. There is a part of me that misses the lazy summer months in Illinois (minus the humidity, I don’t miss the humidity). And I miss the sweet corn. I think I offended a few people in California yesterday when I said nothing gets close to midwest sweet corn (because really, and sorry California, it doesn’t). I miss the peaches and cream corn that you buy out of an old, beat-up truck on the corner of the highway. To me, it’s such a summer tradition.
These corn cakes have been a summer staple since I started making them a couple years ago. However, I’m on another chipotle and avocado kick so I decided to jazz up the recipe with a pinch of chipotle pepper and a fresh avocado topping. Of course, I highly recommend the roasted zucchini topping from the original as well.Print
- Corn Cakes
- 1 recipe for corn cakes
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoon minced cilantro
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 1-2 ounces goat cheese
- Make corn cakes as directed, adding the chipotle powder in with the flour.
- Remove the skin and pit from the avocado and cut into cubes. Toss with lime juice, red onion, cilantro, and salt/pepper. Top cooked corn cakes with avocado and finish with a sprinkle of goat cheese.