A hearty, slightly spicy salad made with roasted cauliflower tossed in harissa, freekeh, feta, and a creamy avocado dressing to balance the spice.
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons mild harissa paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Water, as needed
- 2 large handfuls of mixed lettuce
- 1/2 cup cooked freekeh
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Chop the cauliflower florets into bite-sized pieces and place in a roasting pan. Toss with harissa and olive oil until cauliflower is well coated. Roast the cauliflower for 25 to 30 minutes. Cauliflower should be tender and lightly browning. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, combine ingredients for the dressing in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth, adding a splash of water as needed to thin into dressing consistency.
- When cauliflower is mostly cool, place lettuce in a bowl along with the cauliflower, freekeh, feta, and scallions. Toss and drizzle with dressing before serving.
Tips & Tricks: This salad doesn’t keep well- assemble right before serving. Also, I don’t mind lettuce that has been slightly wilted, so I toss the salad while the cauliflower is still hot. Let the cauliflower cool to your desired temperature before assembling the salad. Also, if you only have harissa spice blend (dry rub), cut back slightly and mix with a tablespoon or two of olive oil to coat the cauliflower.
You could make this sauce ahead of time and assemble when ready to eat.
Nutrition: see the information.
- Serving Size: