½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup water
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill rolled oats
3 cups cauliflower florets (see note)
¼ cup crumbled feta
2 large eggs
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon curry powder
Pinch of salt
Oil, for frying
Flakey Sea Salt
- An hour before making this, soak the sunflower seeds in enough warm water cover by an inch.
- When ready to start, pulse the rolled oats and cauliflower together until the cauliflower is in small pieces. Add the feta, baking powder, curry powder, and salt; pulsing again to combine. Finally, add the eggs and pulse a few more times until the mixture comes together.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Slightly wet your hands, take about ¼ cup of the mixture, shape into a patty and place into the pan. Alternatively, scoop the mixture with a spoon, slide into the pan, and press down with the back of the spoon.
- Cook the patties until the side is deeply golden. Carefully flip and repeat. If you try and flip too early, the patties will fall apart. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- While the fritters are cooking, drain the water from the sunflower seeds and place in a blender with ½ cup of fresh water, herbs, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Puree until smooth, adding a splash more water as needed to thin enough to blend.
- Serve the fritters with a spread of sunflower cream and top with the microgreens.
When I say three cups, it’s a mounded three cups which worked out to be about ½ head of medium cauliflower.
Keywords: cauliflower fritters