Today I am sharing with you a slight adaption from Megan’s beautiful new book, Whole-Grain Mornings. The second I cracked the book open, it was hard for me to put it down. Beyond the bevy of delicious sounding breakfast recipes, her storytelling pulled the book together ever so lovely. I would highly suggest ordering a copy for yourself and others (especially if you are a breakfast fanatic, like myself.)
I chose the California Barley Bowl probably for obvious reasons. Even being out in Northern California for less than a year, I feel a sort of connection. I love that one weekend I can head up to the mountains for snowboarding/hiking and the next I can be running around San Francisco, drinking coffee and exploring what the city has to offer. And of course, the food. Oh the food. Spending my youth in Illinois, we had plenty of fresh produce options but to have fresh citrus and avocados is a different story.
I’m always on the lookout for non-egg, non-sugary breakfast options and this one really hit the spot. I changed it up a bit based on what I already had in the house but the combination of grains/cheeses/nuts is endless. The lemon in the yogurt sauce and the avocado are truly a match. I couldn’t ask for a better way to start the day.
California Barley Bowl
- 1 1/2 cup cooked pearled barley*
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1 ounces goat cheese
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch red pepper flakes (*optional- I like a little spice)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, toss together cooked barley, sprouts, goat cheese, sunflower seeds, salt, and red pepper flakes. Divide into two bowls and add the avocado. In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, lemon zest, juice, and black pepper. Top the barley bowl with a nice drizzle of the yogurt sauce and serve.