3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon honey
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup thinly sliced carrots
½ head savoy cabbage
4 scallions, sliced and saving a few greens for topping
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, plus extra for topping
4 ounces wide udon noodles
2 to 3 eggs
1 tablespoon ghee
- To make the carrots, combine the rice vinegar, water, salt, and honey in a small pot and bring to a boil. Place the carrots in a heat-safe jar then cover with the hot liquid. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove the core from the cabbage cut into ¼” thick slices. Add sliced scallions and drizzle with oil, brushing/tossing everything together. Heat your broiler and roast the cabbage until charred. Don’t look away- it will go fast.
- Measure out 3 tablespoons of the pickling liquid and combine with the soy sauce and sesame seeds.
- Cook the noodles according to the package and finally, make the egg. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the ghee and cook the eggs to your liking, spooning the ghee over the eggs to help the whites set.
- Assemble the bowls by combining the noodles with the cabbage, some pickled carrots, the soy sauce mixture, and a solid sprinkle of sesame seeds. Top with an egg and serve with chili flakes and scallion greens if desired.
Keywords: cabbage noodle bowls, noodle bowl