I had a post typed out but it didn’t feel quite right today. I think these waffles speak for themselves.
Brown Butter Waffles with Honey-Apples and Pecans
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 c - 1 cup milk
- 2 apples
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup pecans
- Heat butter over medium heat. Once butter has melted, continue stirring while butter foams up. Once brown flecks appear at the bottom of the pan and the butter has a nutty aroma, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, cooled brown butter, maple syrup and ½ cup of milk. Pour in to dry ingredients and lightly stir until combined, adding more milk to reach a pourable consistency.
- Preheat waffle iron. Once iron is ready, pour roughly ½ the batter in and cook according to iron’s directions. Continue with remaining batter.
- In a dry skillet, add pecans and lightly toast for 2-3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- To make apples, heat, over medium, 1 tablespoons of butter in a skillet. Thinly slice apples and add to butter. Cook apples for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through. Add honey and reduce heat to medium low, cooking for 1-2 more minutes.
- Top waffles with apples, pecans, and any extra butter/honey. You can make extra brown butter and lightly drizzle on top before serving.
by Erin Alderson