on a quick note, your ice cream may not look like these photos. I didn’t mix the blackberry mixture in with the ice cream. M and I concurred that it would be better mixed in with the ice cream, similar to what I did with the strawberry swirl ice cream.
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups blackberries
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup pecan pieces
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Making Granola: Preheat oven to 300˚ and cover a baking tray with parchment (or silpat.)
- Combine oats, pecans and salt, then whisk together oil and syrup. Pour over oats and continue to stir until all oats are covered.
- Pour oats on to tray and evenly spread into a thin layer. Bake for 1-1½ hours, stirring every 15 minutes. Granola should be lightly browned and beginning to crisp when done. Remove and let sit until cool.
- Making the Ice Cream Base: Slice the vanilla bean in half and scrape in to a medium pot. Add in heavy cream, milk, and turn on heat to medium. Bring milk to just before it starts to boil and forms bubbles around the edge. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until mixture is lighten in color.
- While whisking constantly, stream about a ¼ cup a cup of the heated milk mixture in to the egg mixture. Continue to pour milk while whisking.
- Add contents back to the pot and cook until mixture becomes thick and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Let cool completely in the refrigerator.
- Making the blackberry mixture: Place blackberries in a pot over medium heat. Add in maple syrup and lemon juice. Cook until blackberries have are starting to break down and releasing juices, 6-8 minutes. Combine the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water and pour into blackberry mixture. Stir mixture constantly until blackberries thicken, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Freeze according to machine’s instructions or you or check out this post that has helpful hints on what to do without a machine. When ice cream has thickened, remove half from the ice cream machine and set aside in freezer. Pour in blackberry mixture and continue to run machine until blackberries have blended. Pour into vanilla portion and swirl. Freeze until hard.
- Serve with a sprinkle of granola or before freezing ice cream, mixture granola in to the soft ice cream