- 1 1/2 pounds medium beets
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 whole lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 ripe, but firm, avocados, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups lightly packed baby arugula
- 4 ounces semi-firm aged goat cheese, shaved (1 cup)*
- Preheat oven to 375˚. In a roasting pan, toss beets with olive oil and sea salt. Cover the pan with foil and place in the oven. Roast for around one hour- until beets are tender. Remove from the oven and let cool enough to handle beets. Peel the beets and cut into wedges.
- While beets are roasting, place the pine nuts in a pie plate and bake for 6-7 minutes, until toasted. Remove and let cool.
- To make the dressing, peel the lemon with a sharp knife, making sure to remove the pith. Cut the lemon into small pieces. In a bowl, whisk together remaining 1/4 cup olive oil with lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add chopped lemons.
- Toss together the avocado pieces and arugula with half the dressing and transfer to the serving dish. Add beets and remaining to the bowl, toss, and add beets to the top of the salad. Top with toasted pine nuts and shaved cheese.
* I used a shaved Manchego