For this particular lasagna version I used butternut squash as the veggie and gorgonzola for the “shredded” cheese. Other veggies that work well are sweet potatoes, zucchini, asparagus, spinach, chard, pumpkin, and eggplant. As for cheeses, cheddar, mozzarella, or blue cheese work well (really, any cheese that melts and has flavor does well!)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4-5 cups assorted veggies, cubed
- 1 Recipe for Ricotta or 1, 15 ounce container
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart (4 cups) tomato-basil sauce•
- 4-6 ounces of cheese, shredded if needed
- Combine whole wheat flour and salt on a clean surface. Make a well, add two eggs, and 3 tablespoons of water. Using a fork, whisk eggs and slowly begin to incorporate flour.
- Continue to incorporate flour and a paste will soon form. Continue to mix (eventually ditching the fork for your hands) and knead dough into a smooth ball.
- Let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- While pasta sits, toss together 1 tablespoon olive oil, diced onion, and veggies. Roast until tender, 25-35 minutes depending on veggies.
- Divide pasta dough into 9 even pieces. Using a pasta attachment or rolling pin, roll out pasta into lasagna noodles. Pasta should be thin but still hold together (setting 3 on a pasta attachment).
- Whisk together ricotta, egg white, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Working in batches, boil noodles as you assemble. Pour 1/2 cup tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 9 pan. Boil three pasta noodles for 30 seconds and layer into pan. Smear 1/2 ricotta cheese on noodles, sprinkle 1/2 the veggies on top, and then roughly 1/3 of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat again with tomato sauce, noodles (boiled for 30 seconds), 1/2 ricotta, veggies, and cheese.
- To finish, spread another 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, boil the remaining noodles and layer then cover top noodles with tomato sauce and remaining cheese.