- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup sucanat (or brown sugar)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter (this is on the low end, you may want to use more)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2+ tablespoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350˚and either butter or oil a doughnut pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients, except for the brown sugar, together and set aside. In a different bowl, whisk together the oil, egg whites, brown sugar, vanilla, pumpkin, and milk. Pour into the dry mixture and stir until the mixture is just combined.
- Pour mixture into a piping bag (or a gallon bag with the tip cut off) and pipe an even circle so that each doughnut fairly full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the doughnut spring backs. Remove from oven and turn out onto a wire rack.
- Let the doughnuts cool slightly. Melt butter in one bowl and combine cinnamon/sugar in another. When doughnuts are have cooled so that they are warm, dip in the butter and shake in the cinnamon/sugar. If you are not going to serve the doughnuts right away, do not do this last step. Place the doughnuts in an airtight container and coat right before serving!