I asked people what they wanted to see “healthified” and I am looking forward to the challenge (however, I highly doubt I will be able to healthify butter cream frosting- I think that may be impossible.) Before I took to the challenge, I ended up revamping an older recipe of mine that happens to be adapted from one of my favorite appetizers: Fried Cauliflower!
While I know it is hard to find appropriate substitutions for fried food- this one comes pretty close. The double breading creates a nice crispy coating on the cauliflower without all the grease! (Of course, I still dip my cauliflower in ranch but I’m okay with that!)Print
- 3 cups cauliflower cut into chunks
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425˚. If bread crumbs are of the large variety, pulse in a food processor until finely ground. Beat egg , egg white, and water together.
- Set up an assembly line with cauliflower at one end, eggs , breadcrumbs with oregano/salt/pepper, and baking tray covered in parchment paper.
- Begin with a handful of cauliflower and dip in the egg, roll in the breadcrumbs, then repeat for a double breading. Transfer to tray and repeat with remaining cauliflower, only using a handful of bread crumbs each time (or else they clump!)
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until outsides are crisp and cauliflower is tender. These are best served when still warm!