- 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons natural cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons- 1/4 cup cold water
- 5–6 Large apple
- 1/2 cup natural sugar
- 1/2 cup sucanat
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, softened.
- Peel and slice apples into even pieces. I highly recommend buying this peeler (but if you don’t, just attempt to get all apples at the same size.) In a bowl combine the apple pieces with the remaining ingredients. Let sit for one hour (or overnight is better!)
- To make crust, combine the dry ingredients into a bowl and cut in butter/cream cheese with your fingers (or a pastry blender.) Once butter and cream cheese are broken down to the size of peas, add water to the mix and stir/knead until the dough comes together. Place in refrigerator for 20 minutes to chill. Roll out dough into a circle and crimp into a 9″ pie pan or 11″ tart pan (my choice!)
- Preheat oven to 375˚.
- To make topping, combine sugar and flour together. Cut butter into flour/sugar until the topping looks like crumbs and butter is blended in.
- To assemble pie, pour filling into pie shell and sprinkle topping evenly over the filling. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the top has browned and the apple filling in bubbling out the sides.