Words seem to be failing me today.
I type a sentence and before I even finish I start thinking about work…
“Would this be a good project to do in class today.”
So instead of an elaborate post, I leave you with a haiku:
Oh Butternut Squash
You are so good and tasty
Get in my belly
Yes I know, I should leave music and become a poet…
(Please know, I’m kidding.)
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium shallots
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup gorgonzola cheese, plus extra for topping
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Slice butternut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Place each half cut side down in a 9x13 pan and pour ½" of water in the bottom. Place in oven and bake until tender, about 45-60 minutes. Once done, remove and set aside.
- Rinse quinoa and set aside. In a medium pan heat olive oil over medium low heat. Dice shallots, add to oil, and saute until shallots are fragrant. Stir in quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer at let cook until water is absorbed, 12-15 minutes.
- While quinoa cooks, scoop out butternut squash, leaving a ¼"-1/2" on the sides and bottom. Drain water from pan and return butternut squash to the pan, cut side up.
- Mash butternut squash and stir in gorgonzola cheese. Once quinoa is done, add it to the butternut squash. Taste and add salt if need be.
- Scoop filling evenly into butternut squash halves. Sprinkle with gorgonzola cheese and return to oven. Let bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese has melted and the tops begin to brown. Remove from oven, cut eat half in half, and serve.