I love using cabbage for a bit of bulk to spring rolls, potstickers, or stir fries. Cabbage also is great for salads, slaws, and even stuffing. I also find that a large head of cabbage can make a few meals and is abundant during the summer months. Just make sure to remove the core from the cabbage before using.
While cabbage can keep in the basement or root cellar, I usually find it a great thing to freeze. Remove the core, cut in to strips, and blanch for 2-3 minutes. Remove, pat dry, and place in a freezer safe container. You then have a great addition to stir fries during the cooler months! Cabbage comes in red (which is more purple) and green, both of which hold great nutrients.
My recipes for cabbage:
Recipes from around the web:
- Horseradish lentils with red cabbage and leeks from Adrienne Eats
- Cabbage Salad with Apple and Caraway from The Year in Food
- Black Bean tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw from This Homemade Life
- Cabbage and Apples from A Couple Cooks
- Cabbage and Chickpea salad with Grilled Portobello Mushrooms from Scandi Foodie
- Cabbage with Almonds, Blood Oranges, and Ginger Vinaigrette from Roost
- Baked Farro Pasta with Cabbage from 101 Cookbooks
- Asian Cabbage Salad from Good Things Grow
- Savory Cabbage Turnovers from SippitySup
- Roasted Cabbage with a Lime Peanut Sauce from Running to the Kitchen