It seems I have been a woman of few words this week and I think sometimes that is alright. I have not felt the greatest and classes are chaotically coming to an end for the semester. Nevertheless, I wanted to make sure I posted this recipe posted for the weekend. I think the photo and the title say it all. The slight crunch and nuttiness the hazelnuts add to the pancake is amazing and to pair it with a bit of tart rhubarb seems perfect.
Just looking at the photo puts me in the midset of a leisurely Saturday morning breakfast with a cup of coffee in one hand and good book in the other. My perfect Saturday morning.
Hope everyone gets a to enjoy a leisurely morning this weekend!
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, whole
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon nut oil
- 1/2-3/4 cup milk
- Rhubarb Compote:
- 3-4 large stalks of rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- zest from one orange
- Preheat oven to 325˚. Whisk together melted butter, maple syrup, cardamom, and orange zest. Roughly cube rhubarb and toss with cardamom mixture. Place in a pan and roast until rhubarb is tender, 25-35 minutes.
- Once rhubarb is done, place in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Taste and adjust flavor to your liking.
- To make pancakes, lightly toast hazelnuts in a skillet for 3-4 minutes over medium low heat. Remove and place in food processor, pulsing until hazelnuts are ground, but not flour.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground hazelnuts, flour, baking powder, and salt and give a good stir. In a separate bowl,whisk together with the maple syrup eggs, oil, and 1/2 cup milk. Pour over dry ingredients, stir just until combined-don’t over mix. If batter thickens too much (and isn’t easily pourable) and a bit more milk.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When skillet is hot (if you flick water onto the skillet, it should sizzle), take about 1/4 cup of batter and pour onto skillet. Let cook for 1-2 minutes (until the pancakes begins to bubble slightly. Flip and let cook for another 1-2 minutes until pancake is cooked through.
- Serve with rhubarb compote.