In my kitchen, I treat gluten and gluten-free the same. I have quite a few gluten-free recipes on this site but it’s not because I specifically made them to be gluten-free. I made them because I liked the flavor those particular elements brought to the dish. I’m not celiac or gluten-intolerant but I still enjoy these dishes. While these grains (and seeds) get the label of “gluten-free” I think it’s important to remember that they too have a place in everyone’s kitchens. Each one is unique and can add a lot to whatever the dish may be.
You may have noticed by now that I also have a certain love of crepes. While I typically enjoy the sweet variety, I do eat my fair share of savory (like this grilled cheese and asparagus crepe). I enjoy the lightness the wrap brings and how well it can lend itself to both savory and sweet. There’s a nice almond crepe in the book but I felt like sharing this easy oat crepe. If you saw yesterday’s post on grinding equipment, you may notice that you can make oat flour from rolled oats in a food processor + a little sifting. If I’m not careful, I’ll just lather these oat crepes with a bit of butter/honey and eat them just like that.
Also, if you want more sneak peaks at the book, some of my friends have shared a smattering of gluten-free recipes from the cookbook:
- 60g oat flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, cooled
- Filling (enough for two crepes)
- 1 ounce goat cheese, room temperature
- 5-6 thin slices tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon basil, minced
- Whisk together flour, salt, eggs honey, milk, and melted butter until smooth. Heat 8″ skillet and lightly grease with oil. Place a scant ¼ cup of batter in pan. Tilt the pan so that the batter covers the entire pan and cook for about 30-45 seconds. Flip and cook for another 15 seconds. Layer done crepes, slightly overlapping, on a plate.
- Spread ½ ounce cream cheese on crepe, layer 2-3 tomatoes over cheese and sprinkle with basil. Fold crepe in half and return to skillet and cook on each side until crepes are lightly browning on each side.