|Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Gnocchi |
Author: Erin Alderson
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 3/4-1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Brown Butter:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425˚. Pierce sweet potato with a fork, place in oven, and bake for 30-40 minutes or until soft. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Cut sweet potato in half, scoop out insides, and mash. Measure out 1 cup to use and save the rest for another time. Stir in salt, pepper, cinnamon, and 1/4 cup of the wheat flour. Continue to stir and add flour until the mixture forms a soft dough (the dough might be sticky, just use more flour on your hands and surface). Place onto a surface covered in flour. Divide dough into three balls and roll each out into 1" ropes and cut gnocchi 1" at a time. Indent gnocchi with the tines of a fork. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Place half the gnocchi in the boiling water and let cook for 5-6 minutes. I let the gnocchi go for a minute or two after they float to the top.
- While gnocchi cook, melt butter in a skillet and add rosemary. Continue to cook butter until the foam stops and the butter begins to brown. Remove from the heat and stir in the maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Once gnocchi are done, toss with brown butter and serve.
Recipe by Naturally Ella at http://naturallyella.com/whole-wheat-sweet-potato-gnocchi/