|Roasted Garlic and Tomato Soup |
Author: Erin Alderson
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 10 mins
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- ½ cup garbanzo beans
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 cups veggie broth
- Old bread for croutons
- Olive oil for tossing with bread
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Take head of garlic and slice off the top so that the cloves are exposed. Brush generously with olive oil and wrap in aluminum foil. Place whole cherry tomatoes on a baking tray covered with aluminum foil. Place both the garlic and the tomatoes in the oven baking tomatoes for 25-30 minutes until soft and 30-40 minutes for the garlic.
- Once garlic is done, remove from oven and squeeze cloves out. You should have 5-6 decent size cloves of garlic.
- Once tomatoes and garlic are done (or almost done,) and over medium heat, add olive oil in a pot. Dice onions and add to olive oil, cooking until onions are translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in herbs, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, and roasted garlic and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes. Pour in 2 cups of veggie broth, bring to a boil the reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, dice or tear bread into cubes and toss with one to two tablespoons of olive oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until bread has dried out and browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Once soup has simmered, remove from stove-top and either using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree soup until smooth. If your soup is too thick, return to stove top and add more veggie broth until desired consistency is reached.
- To serve, place handful of homemade croutons in the bottom of a bowl and ladle soup on top. If waiting to serve, let soup cool and store in an airtight container. Store croutons in a plastic bag until ready to use.
Recipe by Naturally Ella at http://naturallyella.com/roasted-garlic-and-tomato-soup/