|Brown Butter and Pecan Pancakes |
Author: Erin Alderson
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- ⅓ cup pecans
- ⅔ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 egg
- ¼ cup butter, split
- ½ vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½-3/4 cup milk
- For brown butter, carefully slit half of bean and scrape out as much of the insides as you can into a medium skillet. Toss in the butter and scraped out vanilla bean into the pan. Heat over medium heat. Once butter has melted, continue stirring while butter foams up. Once brown flecks appear at the bottom of the pan and the butter has a nutty aroma, remove from heat and set aside, let cool slightly and remove bean shell.
- In a food processor, pulse pecans until they resembled course flour. Combine with whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg. Whisk in 2 tablespoons brown butter, maple syrup, and ½ cup of milk.
- Combine wet mixture in to dry mixture and stir until batter is combined. Stir in more milk if consistency is not pourable.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When skillet is hot (if you flick water onto the skillet, it should sizzle), take about ¼ cup of batter and pour onto skillet. Let cook for 1-2 minutes (until the pancakes begins to bubble slightly. Flip and let cook for another 1-2 minutes until pancake is cooked through.
- Top with remaining brown butter, maple syrup, and pecans.
Recipe by Naturally Ella at http://naturallyella.com/2013/02/11/brown-butter-and-pecan-pancakes/