|Red Lentils and Spinach in Masala Sauce |
Author: Erin Alderson
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
- Masala Paste:
- 1½ teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2" piece ginger, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1-3 teaspoons red pepper flakes*
- 1 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garam marsala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut or other nut oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ⅓ cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup masala paste
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup red lentils
- 2 handfuls spinach
- To make paste, toast cumin and coriander seeds in skillet until fragrant. Use a mortar and pestle (or a spice grinder) to grind spices.
- In a small food processor, add ginger and pulse until broken into small pieces. Add red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, garam marsala, and salt. Give a couple pulse to incorporate. Next, add nut oil, tomato paste, and cilantro leaves. Pulse until paste forms and everything is well incorporated. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Melt coconut oil and add diced onion, cooking until translucent, 4-5 minutes. Add in minced garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Stir in masala paste and cook for 1-2 minutes, then stir in stewed tomatoes and coconut milk. Stir together and bring to a boil.
- Add in lentils and reduce heat to medium low. Cook, stirring often, until lentils are tender, 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and fold in spinach.
- Serve with your favorite grain, extra cilantro, and a dollop of greek yogurt.
Recipe by Naturally Ella at http://naturallyella.com/2012/11/23/red-lentils-and-spinach-in-masala-sauce/