Of all the recipes I share, I love the ones that aren’t actually recipes. I love the meals that come together quick, are less about the exact measurement and more about what you have on hand, and meals that are so simple, it feels silly to write it down. This asparagus and egg dish a shining example. Fry a few asparagus stalks, crack an egg or two in the pan with a bit of cheese and you’re done. The perfect, quick meal for breakfast, lunch, or even a light dinner.
- 5 to 6 stalks asparagus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup goat or blue cheese (*optional)
- Pepper to top
- Prepare the asparagus by removing roughly 1" of the bottoms.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, followed by the asparagus and salt. Shake skillet to coat asparagus and cook until tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Spread asparagus out and crack eggs over the asparagus. Sprinkle cheese over asparagus and eggs. Reduce heat and cover. Let cook until egg whites are firm and yolk is done to desired consistency, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Serve with freshly cracked pepper.
Asparagus and Eggs
Being this recipe requires minimal ingredients and time, it’s really easy to add a few extra items or swap for things you might have on hand.
Cheese: Anything that melts is perfect because as it melts, parts crisp up in the olive oil. I’ve also been known to use a veg-friendly parmesan, fresh mozzarella, or a solid sharp cheddar.
Brassicas: I like thin, fresh asparagus for this but if that’s not in season, some of the brassicas family will work like broccoli or Brussels sprouts.
Serving: Serve with a simple side salad or grains for lunch or a piece of toast for breakfast- quite a few options depending on what you’re in the mood for at the time.
One of the things I love most about asparagus is the simple prep and easy cooking to make the flavor shine. I often find myself grilling and roasting asparagus as a side quite often but a few of my favorite main asparagus mains: