Mother’s day is coming and this year I’ve added even more mother’s who inspire me. I talk a lot about my mother and grandmothers who have always been a constant source of inspiration throughout my life and now I have a loving mother-in-law along with two wonderful sister-in-laws. I also have friends who constantly show me what it’s like to be strong and loving mothers. I only hope that one day I can live up to all of these amazing women.
Beyond the mom’s in my life, I’m partnering with Fair Trade USA to celebrate hard-working mothers around the world. While I love to visit my farmers’ market and eat local, it’s also important to support the global farming community for items that simply can’t be grown locally (I love my coffee, chocolates, and bananas- just to name a few!) Just like supporting the local farmers, Fair Trade aids in creating stable work with fair wages and conditions to farmers while upholding standards for environmentally sustainable farming. This month Fair Trade is highlighting some of those farmers that also happen to be mothers!
Fair Trade asked a few bloggers to created a brunch recipe, using a few Fair Trade ingredients, in honor of Mother’s day. Last year I shared my mother’s french toast and this year I decided to jazz up the french toast by adding a delicious banana topping many with Fair Trade bananas, cinnamon, and muscovado sugar (plus the coconut oil for frying the french toast!) Wake up early and whip up a batch for your mother on Mother’s day (or really, any day!)
(PS- Fair Trade USA is running a small contest for the bloggers who created a brunch recipe and I’d love your vote! Pop over to the Fair Trade USA pinterest board! and re-pin my recipe sometime between May 1st and the 11th (only re-pins from their board count)! Then come back and use that pin as an entry to win the Fair Trade Goodie Box!)
- French Toast
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 4 pieces whole wheat sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ripe bananas
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 2 tablespoons muscovado sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- walnuts, for topping
- Heat large, flat bottom skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add coconut oil, melt, and swirl around pan.
- Whisk together egg and heavy cream. Press piece of bread into mixture, flip, and place in skillet. Repeat with remaining pieces of bread. Cook on each side until golden brown.
- To make banana topping, melt butter in a skillet over low heat. Stir in cinnamon, bourbon, sugar and scrape in the vanilla bean seeds, cook for 30-60 seconds until sugar has dissolved. Add in sliced bananas and stir to coat. Cook for 1-2 minutes until bananas are hot. Pour in the heavy cream, continuing to cook until topping is warm, 1-2 more minutes.
- Serve french toast with a spoonful of bananas and sprinkle of walnuts.
Along with the recipe, Fair Trade USA wanted to give one lucky (USA) reader a box of Fair Trade goodies (and trust me, there’s a lot of good stuff!) In the box (items in bold were used in this recipe!):
- Allegro Coffee (A coffee blend from women farmers in Oaxaca, Mexico and San Ignacio, Peru).
- Guittard Baking Chocolate
- Nutiva Coconut Oil
- barkTHINS snacking chocolate
- prAna scarf (which side note, love my yoga mat from prAna as well)
- sweetriot sweets
- Numi Organic Tea
- Frontier Natural Co-op Cinnamon
- Choice Tea
- India Tree Brown Muscovado sugar
- Honest Tea
a Rafflecopter giveaway
||Disclosure: This post is in conjunction with Fair Trade USA but all thoughts and opinions are my own. I like to support companies that are doing good through food near and far.||