Wheat-Almond Pancakes with Apples and Pomegranate
Author: Erin Alderson
Recipe type: Breakfast
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- ½-2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 large apple
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- To make pancakes combine flour, almond meal, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Give a good stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, maple syrup, oil, and ½ cup milk. Stir in to pancake batter, just until combined. Add more milk if needed to thin batter.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When skillet is hot (if you flick water onto the skillet, it should sizzle), take about ¼ cup of batter and pour onto skillet. Let cook for 1-2 minutes (until the pancakes begins to bubble slightly. Flip and let cook for another 1-2 minutes until pancake is cooked through.
- To make apple topping, melt butter together with maple syrup and ginger in a pot or large skillet. Peel apple if desired and cut into ¼” cubes. Add to pan and cook apples for 3-4 minutes over medium-low heat until slightly soft. Add in pomegranate seeds, turn heat to low, and let simmer while pancakes finish.
- Serve pancakes with a scoop of apple mixture and a bit of extra maple syrup if desired.