These muffins are inspired by a new favorite snack of mine: A handful of roasted pistachios and chocolate chips. I really love the flavor of pistachios and chocolate together and I’ve been brainstorming of ways to make a sweet treat with the combo. These muffins are the end result. I think that with a good combination of flours, these muffins could easily be gluten-free.
If you can’t buy roasted/no salt/shelled pistachios at the store, you can always buy a bag online (I’m finding when living in a smaller area, online food shopping is wonderful).
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1¾ cup roasted and unsalted shelled pistachios
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil, walnut oil, or melted butter
- ½ cup honey
- 1½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- To make pistachio meal, pulse pistachios in a food processor until broken down into meal. Do not run for a long time or pistachio meal will turn into pistachio butter.
- In a bowl, combine 1½ cups ground pistachios (reserving ¼ cup for later use), wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and add in milk, oil, and honey.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and ingredients and stir until barely combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among 12 muffins. Sprinkle with remaining ground pistachio meal. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Top should be golden brown and muffin should spring back lightly when touched.
- Extra muffins store well in the freezer.