There is a certain taste that a meal gets from the love and time that goes into a handmaking items. This basic lasagna is one of my go-to staples however, I’ve never posted it because I don’t ever use a recipe. I throw whatever veggies and cheese I have at the time and use very (and I do mean very) loose measurements.
So this recipe is less about the ingredients but more about making the ingredients.
Lasagna can be so wonderful and comforting. Add in homemade tomato (pasta) sauce, ricotta cheese, and fresh pasta and you’ve got yourself a new level of lasagna wonderfulness.
The flavors are amazing and the homemade pasta holds up to the baking process much better than store bought, plus making the pasta can often be relaxing and fun to do (plus, lasagna noodles are probably the easiest noodles to make- no perfection needed).
Take time to slow down and enjoy the process, it can be quite wonderful.
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4-5 cups assorted veggies, cubed
- 1 Recipe for Ricotta or 1, 15 ounce container
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoons oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 quart (4 cups) tomato-basil sauce•
- 4-6 ounces of cheese, shredded if needed
- Combine whole wheat flour and salt on a clean surface. Make a well, add two eggs, and 3 tablespoons of water. Using a fork, whisk eggs and slowly begin to incorporate flour.
- Continue to incorporate flour and a paste will soon form. Continue to mix (eventually ditching the fork for your hands) and knead dough into a smooth ball.
- Let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- While pasta sits, toss together 1 tablespoon olive oil, diced onion, and veggies. Roast until tender, 25-35 minutes depending on veggies.
- Divide pasta dough into 9 even pieces. Using a pasta attachment or rolling pin, roll out pasta into lasagna noodles. Pasta should be thin but still hold together (setting 3 on a pasta attachment).
- Whisk together ricotta, egg white, oregano, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Working in batches, boil noodles as you assemble. Pour ½ cup tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 9 pan. Boil three pasta noodles for 30 seconds and layer into pan. Smear ½ ricotta cheese on noodles, sprinkle ½ the veggies on top, and then roughly ⅓ of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat again with tomato sauce, noodles (boiled for 30 seconds), ½ ricotta, veggies, and cheese.
- To finish, spread another ½ cup of tomato sauce, boil the remaining noodles and layer then cover top noodles with tomato sauce and remaining cheese.