I gave M advice last night that only recently I started following. I told him that when he woke up in the morning to get out of bed, take a moment, and simply say, “I am awesome, this day is going to be great, let’s get shit done. ”
Too often I was finding myself rolling out of bed with thoughts of my to do list already quickening my step. I take the dog for a walk in a hurry, convince myself there is no time for yoga, and jump right in (because there is no time to waste!) What I realized, however, was my days weren’t going so well. It’s like if I didn’t mentally prepare myself for the day, I wasn’t ready for it.
Too often I get in this mentally of “hurry, hurry, hurry.” In fact, ask M or anyone in my family and they would tell you that was my mantra (which is something I’m trying a bit to change- there are times to hurry but there are also many times for slowing down). So, I’m starting with my mornings.
Even if it is just as simple as saying, “I am awesome, this day is going to be great, let’s get shit done. ”
This may look like one of my recipes. I mean, it is a salad, there are beets, and I do have a love of goat cheese. However, this recipe is straight from Martha Stewart’s new cookbook: Meatless. I have to be honest in that I was really curious how a vegetarian cookbook from her would come out and I have to say, overall, I really like it. It is full of recipes that are simple, straight forward, and easily made for everyone to like. (And of course, the photographs are gorgeous!)
This recipe is simple and the flavors of the endives, roasted veggies, dressing, and goat cheese play really well together. I could see myself subbing out the endives for a more substantial salad base during the summer.
- 2 pound red and golden beets, scrubbed, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 6 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1½ teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons chopped tarragon leaves
- 3 small Belgian endives, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 450˚. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss beets and carrots with 1 tablespoon plus 1½ teaspoons olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast in a single layer until tender, 25-30 minutes, tossing halfway through. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, vinegar, tarragon, and remaining 1 tablespoon plus 1½ teaspoons oil; season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss endives with half the dressing, then transfer to a serving platter. Toss beets and carrots with remaining dressing and add to platter. Top salad with goat cheese and pecans just before serving.
Recipe from Martha Stewart’s: Meatless
*disclaimer: While I was provided with the cookbook free of charge through Martha Stewart, all thoughts and opinions expressed above are my own.