Rhubarb holds a strange place near my heart. My family has two topics of conversation during the spring/summer: rhubarb and tomatoes. The rhubarb that grows in both my grandfather’s backyard and mother’s backyard (albeit slightly sadly), came from the original plant my great-grandfather planted. Every time someone moved, the rhubarb came with us. While I know we could buy new rhubarb plants and probably have it grow stronger, there is a certain sentiment to keeping the older plant around. Our rhubarb comes with a bit of family history.
Needless to say, I grew up with the flavor of rhubarb. It wasn’t until later in life that I learned rhubarb is often paired with strawberries, I know, slightly shocking. I knew only the traditional rhubarb pie and rhubarb sauce.
While I’ve been watching my sugar intake this year, I’ve been incorporating more rhubarb in to savory dishes. However, I was yelled at by a friend who told me that I couldn’t have a rhubarb season without pie, it didn’t seem right. So I thought this week I would share a few more sweet rhubarb recipes and make up for the fact that I hadn’t made pie (yet.)
- No-Churn Rhubarb Ice Cream from Sarah of the Vanilla Bean Blog (Rhubarb Ice Cream is exciting in itself but when you add the fact that it’s no-churn, I think that takes it to amazingness!)
- Honey Almond Rhubarb Crumble from Sonja and Alex of A Couple Cooks (love, love, love the use of honey and ginger!)
- Savory Rhubarb and Chipotle Goat Cheese Pizza from Joanne of Eats Well With Others (I know this is a list of sweet, but this pizza looks too good not to share!)
- Orange Scented Honey Rhubarb Swirl Cake from Jacqui of Good Things Grow (I’m wishing I had a large piece of this for breakfast!)
- Rhubarb Curd from Daisy of Daisy’s World
- Honey Roasted Rhubarb from Maria of Two Peas and Their Pod (A perfect topping for ice cream or yogurt!)
- Rhubarb Mojito from Ashley of Not Without Salt (I don’t think words can even describe this!)
Also, I have a bit more information and links to even more recipes over on the rhubarb page- so be sure to check it out! Also, to see photos for all these recipes and past “craving” recipes, be sure to head over to my pinterest board!