For a long time, I didn’t find carrots exciting. To me they were the thing that Bugs Bunny lusted after (along with Popeye eating spinach) or the crunchy things on the veggie tray I loved to smother with ranch. Sure it had a nice bright color but really, the flavor was boring (this coming from a child who was probably eating McDonalds at least once a day.)
It really wasn’t until I harvested my first carrots from the csa that I realized how much I under-appreciated poor carrots.
Carrots have this slightly earthy, slightly sweet taste to them that take on other flavors really well. With sweet potato season out and an abundance of carrots from the csa, I’ve found myself forming meals around carrots. Carrots have a unique ability to be useful at any texture. If I want a bit of crunch, I simply don’t cook them as long. They are great roasted, steamed, or simply raw.
Then this rice came about.
Every week I cook up large batches of grains and beans then freeze over half. This way, when I need a quick meal, I’m not waiting on my grains to cook. I’ve got them ready to go. That’s really what makes this dish even better- I had it done in under 20 minutes.
My cooking is continually leaning towards simple-what can I do that has the least amount of ingredients but still have a delicious taste. If you don’t like the taste of ginger, this really isn’t for you (or limit the amount you put in the dish.) To make this vegan, simply sub your favorite sweetener for the honey and to make this gluten-free, well, just watch your ingredients.
So if you happen to see carrots at your market, get them and start experimenting. (oh, and pass up the baby carrots in the grocery store- they are just big carrots carefully processed to look baby and cute.)
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cups shredded carrots, about 2-3 large carrots
- 1½ cup cooked brown rice (about ¾ cup uncooked)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tamari (soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium low heat. Add in garlic and ginger, cooking until they both become fragrant-roughly two minutes. Stir in shredded carrots and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Whisk together soy sauce, honey, vinegar, and sesame seeds. Pour over carrot mixture and cook until heated through.
- Finally, stir in rice and cook for 3-4 minutes or until rice is warm.
- Serve with toasted coconut.