I love coming up with quick lunches because most days, this is where I live:
I’m practicing, grading papers, preparing for classes, recruiting, reading, writing etc… etc….etc…
Don’t get me wrong, I still really love my job. Yet, even with the ability to have a nice long lunch at home, I find myself wanting to get back and accomplish more. It’s like the never ending to-do list with the take one item off and add two more.
So, I’ve been “creating” super fast lunches I can make and enjoy within my lunch time frame.
I should preface this with I eat a lot of rice and beans. I buy both in bulk and cook up larges batches of each to freeze. It’s easy, healthy, and saves me money!
I’m also still eating off of produce from the late summer (corn and peppers) that are stashed away in my freezer. This lunch comes together quick, leaves me full, and makes me happy that I don’t eat Subway everyday.
I also know I’ve proclaimed my love of chipotle on this site before and it continues (and will probably always continue.) The addition of chipotle in adobo sauce adds tons of flavor and spice. Of course, I like my bowl hot so I added a whole chipotle when I was making it for myself. You can always vary how much you add!
I’m also guilty of putting a rather large glob of sour cream on my bowl but you know, to each her own!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion
- 1 green pepper
- ½ cup corn kernals
- ½ cup black beans (drained and rinsed if using canned)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of adobo sauce
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- Sour Cream
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Dice onion and add to olive oil. Let onion cook until fragrant, 3-4 minutes. Stir in diced pepper and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes. Stir in corn, black beans, chipotle pepper, and adobo sauce. Continue to cook until corn and black beans are warm, another 2-3 minutes.
- Place rice in bowls and add black bean mixture. Top with your favorite toppings.